Monday, November 7, 2011

{our wedding: decor highlights}

Hello again!

Just thought I would share some highlights from our wedding. We still haven’t received our photographer’s pics yet, however we had plenty of friends and family with cameras who were eager to share what they captured.

I will share in segments as there is a lot to cover. This will be the first part of “our wedding mini-series” and will go over the wedding décor. It was fun to make everything and I would never have been able to finish it all without the help of my sweet husband and trusty maid-of-honor Giselle. When I first started picturing the design for our wedding I obsessed over it day and night, oftentimes waking up in the middle of the night with new ideas. I had post-it notes and index cards galore filled with ideas and to-do lists (I love lists!!!). Although she never showed any signs of it, I know I must’ve driven Giselle crazy every time I would jump around in conversation with some new idea. I felt so blessed to have her as my MOH and highly doubt that she can be beat! She did everything possible to make sure that our wedding day was truly everything we dreamed…and boy was it! Her only demand was that we did not make poms…haha.

We worked on several items throughout the months leading up to the wedding, but really focused the week before in a craft frenzy. Luckily I took off of work that week because I don’t know that it would’ve all been done in time if I hadn’t. We were in the process of moving at the time as well—--I know we’re crazy right?---so the apartment was empty and full of wedding/craft stuff, oh yea and a leaky air mattress (which luckily was replaced by a loaner mattress from our wonderful friends next door). It was a rough week to say the least but with a wonderful ending, our wedding day!

So to start off,

{our lovely reception hall,

I was asked several times to describe the “theme” of our wedding and I could never land on anything in particular. All I knew was that I wanted it to be fun, whimsical, and showcase plenty of mustaches…ha! So maybe the theme was “Funny Whimsical Men?”—-maybe not.

But on a more serious note…I focused on some very small details because I feel like they are often overlooked but can sometimes be the most memorable. I mean tiny cut-out Hunger Games mockingjays seem purposeless but actually made beautiful confetti on our cake table and at the same time paid tribute to one of the greatest book series I’ve read in a long time. You can get some of your own here. I even found cut-out atlas birds that looked lovely dispersed around our centerpieces.

Then there was our photo spotlight. It was one of the first things our guests saw when they walked into the reception hall. It showcased pictures of Jesse and me through the years as a couple, and as individuals. I found this really neat framing idea on pinterest (one of my all-time favorite sites) and put Jesse to work! He did a wonderful job and the frames looked so beautiful at our entrance holding our childhood pictures. I also surprised my parents and grandmother with some pictures of them on their wedding day. At that same spot we had our guestbook which I believe is really unique---more details on that in a future post!

I wanted to make sure that there was fun for all ages and personalities. I babysit a lot and wanted my favorite little munchkins to have a blast---I even consulted them on music for the wedding. Giselle and I went to the party store, reached down and let out our inner kiddos, and picked out plenty of fun toys and treats to pimp out the kids table. From what I heard, the whoopie cushion we sneakily laid out, was a huge hit! We also set out cornhole boards (constructed by my handy hubby) for those interested in a little competition.

One of the projects I was most proud of was our cake topper. I knew I wanted a silly little bird topper for our cake but practically every one I had found was over $100---a little out of my budget. So I realized that this was a craft project I would have to save for my crafty hands. I searched everywhere for little birds which were surprisingly very hard to find, and eventually found some in a craft store by accident. I think it was about two days before the wedding; I sat down (on the floor, as we had no furniture, and at one of the cornhole boards which was my table) with my glue gun, little birds, and miscellaneous craft supplies. I began working and before I knew it I created my little masterpiece. I don’t mind boasting because it is something I am incredibly proud to show-off and better than some of the ones I was looking at. Total cost: $10. Woo!

{our favor tables}

Giselle thought I was a little looney, however I love treats and wanted to treat our guests very generously; it was a joyous celebration after all!

We had:
·         Mustache Lollipops: “I mustache you a ?”
·         Lip Lollipops in our wedding blues & greens: “Kiss me baby”
·         Rock Candy (Jesse’s favorite!): “Rock My World”
·         S’more Treat Bags: “No We Love You S’more”
·         A J&K Wedding Soundtrack featuring songs from key moments of the day: “J&K Greatest Hits”
·         Hand rolled Dominican cigars, a gift from one of my aunties: “Fancy a Smoke”
·         Personalized Team Jesse, Team Katie, (and for those preferring both) J+K, pin buttons: “J vs K, Choose!”

Okay…maybe a little extra. They came out wonderful however and everyone seemed to enjoy them very much (we had nothing left!).

Pheew! That was a mouthful.

Well, that’s all for today. Look out for the next part of our wedding mini-series, coming soon to a blog near you!

Love, Love, Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...