Wednesday, February 15, 2012

{diy: valentines for your valentine}


Hello!!!

How was your Valentine’s Day? I had a pretty lovely day; I ran some errands, enjoyed a very nice dinner with friends (my valentine is away), and made some cute little valentines for the special people in my life. The valentines were pretty easy to make and turned out very adorable. I think their receivers will be very pleased when they arrive. It may be a little late for these, unless you’re a procrastinator like me, but either way it’s a good project to save on that pinterest board. I made four kinds and used Kraft paper, twine, washi tape, and a sharpie---perfect for the budget conscious crafter.


{so easy, so fun}

Below you’ll find a tutorial for valentines with twine, lovebirds, and bunting.

{first you…}

1. Gather some basic supplies and embellishments. Not seen here—my trusty glue gun and box of colorful papers.
2. Grab a piece of 8x10 paper and fold it in half width-wise. I used brown Kraft paper.
3. Cut your paper along the fold so you have two smaller sheets.
4. Fold your pieces in half width-wise to create two blank card templates. Now you can begin decorating!


{then you…}

5. & 6. Cut out a few shapes or creatures for your valentines. You can use stencils or freehand them. I freehanded my little birds and bunting triangles.
7. Assemble your cut-outs. I added tail feathers to my birds later because they looked like tiny blue t-rexes…haha.
8. I wanted my little birds to sit on a piece of twine with a little heart in-between, so I hot glued it all together. Do this step before you add them to your card.


{to finish you…}

9.  Use an exacto knife to cut a little “x” in your blank card. You will string your twine through here.
10.   Before you string your birds or bunting you should decorate your card, inside and out; it’ll be easier now than later.
11.   Here’s an example of the twine strung through. You want to glue your bunting or birds on the twine before you string the twine through the card though.
12.    Tie a little knot at each end of the twine to keep it in place.

And voila!

{tooling with twine}


The washi tape valentines were the easiest. If you’ve never used washi tape, it’s simply decorative tape. It comes in all kinds of designs and can be found at your craft store or online. It’s a simple detail you can add to almost any project to give it a little pizzazz.


{peel & stick}

13. Add it to the outside edge of your card.
14. Or how about the front to make a simple but cute banner?


{washi tape fun}

It was so much fun to make these and I feel they are a lot more special because they were made by hand.

I hope you enjoy this project!

Love,

Mrs. E.

1 comment:

Leave us some love...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...