Thursday, December 29, 2011

{christmas & the naughty elf}

{santa came!}

Hello! Hello!

Christmas came and went so quickly this year that I think it gave me whiplash! I did enjoy it very much and Santa was wonderful to my hubby and me. We began our celebration with a wonderful tradition that originated in my childhood neighborhood. The families in our cul-de-sac started this tradition about 10 years ago or so and have continued it every year on Christmas Eve-Eve. All the families that live in the area get together for caroling, cookies, and delicious cocoa. When it began there were only a few families in participation, but as the neighborhood grew, so did the attendance. Now many of us are older but there are several new young ones to help carry out the harmonies. It’s a sweet tradition and I love reenacting it every year---especially because I get to see all the kids I’ve babysat through the years (now ages 4 – 17), who are incredibly special to me. I also get to visit with neighbors and friends who have been more like family than anything else. Our voices may not have gotten sweeter, but the cookies definitely have!

On Christmas Eve, we enjoyed a wonderful Caribbean themed dinner with Jesse’s brother Derek, Dad Ellis, and Dad Ellis’ lady friend Sue. The mood was set perfectly with Caribbean Christmas music and Carib Ginger beer (which had a bit of an unusual but yummy taste). For dinner we had some Ackee Fruit & Salted Fish, Barley, & Broccoli; for dessert, Homemade Strawberry Pie & Baklava. Dad Ellis cooked the entire meal himself and did a wonderful job with it! The atmosphere was warm and toasty and full of Christmas cheer. Later after our bellies were filled we opened presents and introduced Dad Ellis & Sue to our new favorite game, Farkle!

Christmas Day we spent with Jesse’s brother Derek, Mom Ellis, and Mom Ellis’ beau, Jim. I couldn’t sleep a wink the whole night and even woke up bright and early at 8 am (which was quite unusual as I went to bed at 2 am); I guess I was super excited about Santa! Jesse did make me go back to bed and I had a harder time getting up later that morning. Derek was up early as well and ran through the upstairs shouting “It’s Christmas Day! Wake-up!” When we all finally rolled out of bed and made it downstairs Mom Ellis let us know that before presents we had to make and eat breakfast. Ahhh!!! We survived though; breakfast was very yummy after all. Like I mentioned before, Santa was good to everyone and I felt very blessed to receive so many wonderful things. Most importantly however, it was so special to be around people that really care about my hubster and me. Although I guess Mom Ellis would love her own son, no matter how much of a hard time he still gives her…hehe. The rest of Christmas day was quite relaxing. We wished my mum & dad a Merry Christmas over the phone (they enjoyed Christmas at Disney this year---I WAS SO JEALOUS!) and spent the rest of the day playing with our new gadgets and gizmos.

The Naughty Elf did strike this year, and Derek and I may or may not have aided him. He may or may not have influenced us with spirits. Have you ever played this? Usually the Naughty Elf brings everyone gag gifts (i.e. stuff lying around the house). It’s funny especially when people are not expecting it.

{gifts from the naughty elf}


Christmas dinner was also incredibly good—-delicious steaks cooked perfectly by Mom Ellis. Last year, Derek & Jesse were in charge of the steaks because Mom Ellis was not feeling too well, and somehow (no one will take responsibility), the hearty hunks of meat were burned perfectly black on the outside with a small bit of bright red & cold center. It was sad, very sad. Not this year though!

What a wonderful end to a crazy and eventful year. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for 2012!

Love,

The Mrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...