Wednesday, December 28, 2011

{recipes: rustic italian bread}

{isn’t he lovely?}

Hello friends!

One of our wedding presents was this lovely mixer from Mom Ellis. I have wanted one for sooooooooo long and finally it’s mine! It is beautiful and I can’t wait to make so many things with it! I did bring it out for a few projects recently; chocolate chip cookies (I found a tutorial on how to make the perfect batch---I’ll share later) and rustic Italian bread, which I will share today. I am by no means a skilled baker but I’m learning new tips and tricks all the time and maybe one day I can earn that title. Bread is one particular baked good I have wanted to attempt, especially since I married a boy with a deep love for bread. I scoured the internet for beginner bread recipes and finally found this one, on Food.com. It had lots of great reviews and modifications for Kitchenaid users (versus a bread machine). I just found a recipe for Honey Wheat Bread ala Outback style; I’ll have to let you know how that one goes.

Enjoy!

{in action…it has ninja skills}

{bun in the oven…hehe}
Rustic Italian Bread
Servings: 8
Prep Time: 3 hrs
Cook Time: 35 mins

Ingredients:

·         1 cup warm water
·         2 tablespoons olive oil
·         3 cups bread flour or 3 cups all-purpose flour
·         2 teaspoons granulated sugar
·         3/4 teaspoon salt
·         2 teaspoons active dry yeast
·         cornmeal, to sprinkle on the baking sheet
·         1 egg white, slightly beaten

How To (with modifications):

Step 1: Add the sugar and yeast to the warm water, let it foam for 10 minutes, then add it to the flour, salt, and oil.

Step 2: Attach the dough hook to your Kitchenaid, cover it with a little oil (so the dough won’t stick), then use it to knead the dough for a few minutes. Make sure you use the stir setting.

Step 3: Cover the dough in your mixer for about 30 minutes so that it can rise. You can just lay a kitchen towel over the top of the bowl.

Step 4: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and sprinkle cornmeal onto a baking sheet.

Step 5: Take the dough out of the mixer and punch it down. Form a loaf on the baking sheet, and then cover it again for another 25 minutes.

Step 6: Your loaf should have risen to a larger size by now. If not, keep it covered and let it rise a little longer.

Step 7: Uncover your loaf and slash the top with a sharp knife.

Step 8: Brush the beaten egg white all over the loaf. This will give it that nice golden color.

Step 9: Bake 25 minutes to 35 minutes, until hollow sounding when you tap the bottom of the loaf.

Step 10: Let cool, then enjoy!
 
{voila!}

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...